About Me

My photo
My name is Marissa, I'm 18, My bday is 12/4/89, I'm usually the youngest in the class.I have 3 best friends: Alycia, Heather, and Amanda. I dance at Fusionworks Dance Academy. I've been cheering since i was 5, I was Captain of my high school cheerleading squad. I have 1 tattoo and 8 piercings. My favorite colors are pink and purple. I graduated from Johnston High School in 2007.I work at American Eagle in Smithfield and i love it! In the summer i work at an ice cream shop; Sundaes in Johnston. I have two jack russell terriers; Lily and Missy, and one cat Tiger and one fish; Ugg. I have 3 older siblings, two sisters and one brother. I'm majoring in Elementary Ed, and Special Ed (mild moderate). umm..i think thats it for now.. If you wanna talk IM me: xOx Mariss82xOx or Facebook me! :D -Marissa

Monday, March 31, 2008

Talking Point #7

“One More River to Cross” - Charles Lawrence

Premise:

-whiteness
-priviledge
-race
-labeling
-students
-seperation
-lies
-hate
-change
-misunderstanding

Author's Argument:

Lawrence argues that segregation still exists in the schools now a days and the Brown vs. Board of Education was no successful and is still an issue in the school system.

Evidence:
"Once the state has effectively institutionalized racial segregation as a labeling device, only minimal maintenance is required".

“Segregation’s only purpose is to label or define blacks as inferior and thus exclude them from full and equal participation in society.”

"If one views the Brown case narrowly, as a case intended to desegregate the nation's schools, history has proven it a clear failure"

Comments:

I do not think that segregation will be completely gone in this generation because the older generation is still alive who was all for labels and segregation. If we start to teach the younger generation about race and its okay and normal then it will slowly start to disappear but i do not think it will fully go away until another few generations.

No comments: