About Me

My photo
My name is Marissa, I'm 18, My bday is 12/4/89, I'm usually the youngest in the class.I have 3 best friends: Alycia, Heather, and Amanda. I dance at Fusionworks Dance Academy. I've been cheering since i was 5, I was Captain of my high school cheerleading squad. I have 1 tattoo and 8 piercings. My favorite colors are pink and purple. I graduated from Johnston High School in 2007.I work at American Eagle in Smithfield and i love it! In the summer i work at an ice cream shop; Sundaes in Johnston. I have two jack russell terriers; Lily and Missy, and one cat Tiger and one fish; Ugg. I have 3 older siblings, two sisters and one brother. I'm majoring in Elementary Ed, and Special Ed (mild moderate). umm..i think thats it for now.. If you wanna talk IM me: xOx Mariss82xOx or Facebook me! :D -Marissa

Monday, March 3, 2008

Talking point #4

Linda Christensen Unlearning the Myths that Blind Us

Premise:

-media
-stereotypes
-the norm
-minorities
-movies
-racism
-sexism
-women
-cartoons
-influences

Authors Argument:

Christensen argues that media influences children to a point that it affects their behavior and by viewing profanity on the televsion it is only going to make them believe that this is okay.

Evidence:

"Many students don't want to believe that they have been manipulated by children's media or advertising. No one wants to admit that they've been "handled" by the media. (128)

"But I want students to understand that if the race of the character is the only thing changing, injustices may still remain."

"Children's cartoons, movies, and literature are perhaps the most influential genre "read"

Comments: All of the evidence shown above is basically showing that media really does influence the children. Kids are in denial of it becuase they dont want to face the facts. But the only way kids will really have a chance to learn is by reading and doing schoolwork. It was once a survey that the show Mr.Rogers was well rated because he was very soft spoken and laid back and kids werent hyped up when watching him, but then shows like powerpuff girls or power rangers get kids all hyped up and i think that this is the reason for ADD because kids are so used to bouncing off of walls, instead of watching tv all the time if they read books then they wouldnt have to worry about some other things. i know my friend as a kid she liked to read and i didnt i always watched tv and she has alot more vocabulary than me and i think that reading has alot to do with that.

1 comment:

Dr. Lesley Bogad said...

YOu mention "profanity" in your argument statement... I really hear her talking about a different kind of "profanity". She seems more focused on issues of racism, sexism, etc. How does this media we love teach us about these kinds of things?