About Me

My photo
My name is Marissa, I'm 18, My bday is 12/4/89, I'm usually the youngest in the class.I have 3 best friends: Alycia, Heather, and Amanda. I dance at Fusionworks Dance Academy. I've been cheering since i was 5, I was Captain of my high school cheerleading squad. I have 1 tattoo and 8 piercings. My favorite colors are pink and purple. I graduated from Johnston High School in 2007.I work at American Eagle in Smithfield and i love it! In the summer i work at an ice cream shop; Sundaes in Johnston. I have two jack russell terriers; Lily and Missy, and one cat Tiger and one fish; Ugg. I have 3 older siblings, two sisters and one brother. I'm majoring in Elementary Ed, and Special Ed (mild moderate). umm..i think thats it for now.. If you wanna talk IM me: xOx Mariss82xOx or Facebook me! :D -Marissa

Monday, March 24, 2008

Talking point #6

Tracking: Why Schools Need to Take Another Route by Jeannie Oakes

-kids
-stratergies
-talking
-classroom
-discussion
-opportunities
-ability
-tracking
-speed
-education
-priviledge

Premise:

Oakes argues that by labeling kids at such a young age it gives the impression that other kids have a better opportunity than other kids.

Evidence:

"Students who are placed in high-ability groups have access to far richer schooling experiences than other students."

"To be successful, heterogeneous classrooms probably need to lean toward placing students more in charge of their own evaluation--checking their own understanding and asking for and providing feedback"

"These differences in learning opportunities point to fundamental and ironic school inequities. Students who need more time to learn appear to get less; those who have the most difficulty learning seem to have fewer of the best teachers"

Comments:

i like this article alot because i believe that students do not get the same education if they are divided. If certain kids are getting taken away to the class for "special help" then they are missing out on what everyone else is learning in the class. This article was very easy to understand and very easy to read. There were alot of good arugments in it as well.

1 comment:

Dr. Lesley Bogad said...

As we talked about in class, you have picked up on a strong theme... can separate be equal? Did our class discussion add to your thoughts about this issue?

LB :)