About Me

My photo
My name is Marissa, I'm 18, My bday is 12/4/89, I'm usually the youngest in the class.I have 3 best friends: Alycia, Heather, and Amanda. I dance at Fusionworks Dance Academy. I've been cheering since i was 5, I was Captain of my high school cheerleading squad. I have 1 tattoo and 8 piercings. My favorite colors are pink and purple. I graduated from Johnston High School in 2007.I work at American Eagle in Smithfield and i love it! In the summer i work at an ice cream shop; Sundaes in Johnston. I have two jack russell terriers; Lily and Missy, and one cat Tiger and one fish; Ugg. I have 3 older siblings, two sisters and one brother. I'm majoring in Elementary Ed, and Special Ed (mild moderate). umm..i think thats it for now.. If you wanna talk IM me: xOx Mariss82xOx or Facebook me! :D -Marissa

Monday, February 25, 2008

Dennis Carlson

Premise-

gay
lesbian
straightness
gayness
homosexual
heterosexual
gender
culture
children
public schools
sexual preference
race
sex
different cultrures
different lifestyles

Argument:
Carlson argues that sexual orientation should not be silenced it should be recognized because it is not going away whether you like it or not, so schools should not ignore it.

Evidence:
“In what follows, I not only want to point to some of the ways gay people and “gayness” have been “kept in their place” in the school community; more importantly I want to argue that these practices are increasingly hard to sustain.”
-basically it is difficult to be gay in america becuase of the thoughts of others

“Abuses get tolerated because gay teachers and students operate in an environment where they feel afraid to stand up for themselves, and because any discussion of gay people continues to be absent in the curriculum so that homophobia is not interrogated."
-people should not be asahmed of what their prefernece is, but in public and private schools it is looked down on to be gay and people are afraid to stand up for what they believe in

"Gay people have been for the most part been made absent, invisible, and silent within this community and at the same time represented as the deviant and pathological ‘other’"
-gay people feel like they cannot be themselves around others and they shut themselves out of the world to avoid conflict.

Conclusion:
It seems as though gay people are afraid to be themselves because of what others think of them. This article was very hard to read it didnt make much sense to me but after reading a while i started to understand. Basically if we ignore a problem then it is never going to go away. people will be gay no matter what avoiding it isnt going to make it better. it is better to face the facts, just like racism still exists so we cant ignore it we have to face it.

1 comment:

Dr. Lesley Bogad said...

While you don't name it directly, you make a nice connection to Johnson (we need to say the words). What does Carlson want us to say?