About Me

My photo
My name is Marissa, I'm 18, My bday is 12/4/89, I'm usually the youngest in the class.I have 3 best friends: Alycia, Heather, and Amanda. I dance at Fusionworks Dance Academy. I've been cheering since i was 5, I was Captain of my high school cheerleading squad. I have 1 tattoo and 8 piercings. My favorite colors are pink and purple. I graduated from Johnston High School in 2007.I work at American Eagle in Smithfield and i love it! In the summer i work at an ice cream shop; Sundaes in Johnston. I have two jack russell terriers; Lily and Missy, and one cat Tiger and one fish; Ugg. I have 3 older siblings, two sisters and one brother. I'm majoring in Elementary Ed, and Special Ed (mild moderate). umm..i think thats it for now.. If you wanna talk IM me: xOx Mariss82xOx or Facebook me! :D -Marissa

Monday, April 14, 2008

Talking point #9

"School Girls" by Peggy Orenstein

Premise:
-gender
-students
-teachers
-community
-inequalities
-education
-families
-occupation
-schooling
-opportunites
-self esteem

Authors Argument:
Orenstein argues that all students should be taught the same no matter what their gender is.

Evidence:
"Curriculum should be both a window and a mirror for students , that they should be able to look into other's worlds, but also see the experiences of their own race, gender, and class reflected in what they learn."

"It disturbed me that although girls were willing to see men as heroes, non of the boys would see women that way"

"Sexual harassment is part of the hidden curriculum for girls, and for boys, too, because they learn whether it has anything to do with them or not"

Comments:
This was a really easy piece to read. It was very interesting to see how much everthing is referred to masculine. It was almost like we have been blind to it our whole lives. Women should not be silent and we need to stand up for our rights.

No comments: